Did you know that a parent’s excitement about school plays a great role in a child’s enthusiasm on the first day of school? A parent can ignite the fire and passion for learning just by saying the right words. One way to encourage a child is to brainstorm a list of 25 positive words that you can use to encourage your child. Place it in a very visible location in your home. It is important to keep this year moving in a positive direction. Use words of encouragement whenever you can. View any academic obstacles as stepping stone on your son/daughters journey to success.
There are some things that you can do and say to make this a successful school year. There are limitless learning possibilities for the new school year. Consider how you can also coordinate your activities with other parents. Here are some other ways that you can ignite excitement:
1. Share your excitement about the new school year with your son/daughter
2. Complement them on their growth over the summer
3. Verbally express your confidence that they will be a success.
4. Let them know that you are proud that they are your son/daughter
5. Work together on a fun project right before school starts. Let your student select the project.
6. Feed them breakfast in the morning and encourage them to have a great day. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
7. Talk about different resources and activities that would be great learning opportunities such a visiting a museum of a great play.
8. Visit the local book store to find discount books that your son/daughter can use during the school
9. Make sure that you are available to talk the day before your child’s first day of school.
10. Allow your son/daughter to teach you something that they have learned over the summer or during the last school year.
Getting the school year off to a good start is an important way to lay a good foundation for learning. Build your foundation on the positive aspects of learning. Stay in communication with teachers and the school administrators about school related activities. Also review the school website for organizations that may benefit you child. You can have an exciting school year just by investing time and identifying new experiences for each child. Dr Stephen Jones is an outstanding educator and consultant he is the author of “Seven Secrets of How to Study, the Parent’s Ultimate Education Guide and the Ultimate Scholarship guide at www.studyskills2u.com
. He can be contacted at 610-842-3843.